Saturday, February 25, 2012

Babies: Blog 2


.The social norms of when and how old a women should be when she has children has changed so much over the years.  Before women in their twenties were getting married and having children, now most women do not have children until they are at least 30.  I swear every time I get on Facebook some girl from my high school is either pregnant or has had a child and my first thought is “girl what is wrong with you?”  If you think about,  the only reason I ask this question is because having children in your early twenties married or unmarried is something that many people don’t agree with anymore, getting married at a young age really isn’t acceptable anymore.  Right now, I am a single, 21-year-old college student, working a part-time job, whose parents still pay for some of my needs and wants.  If I were to have children now I really would not know what to do, sure, some maternal instinct would kick in, but financially and emotionally, I would not be ready.  I do not think I would be ready to give up my selfish way and give all my time and attention to a child, but most of all I would not be about to provided for it.
Somewhere in my future, I do see myself having children; in fact, I would like to have 3 boys and a girl.  In order for that to happen, I feel that I need to be in a stable place in my life where my children will have no concerns or worries.  If I were married, with a great job right now I see nothing wrong with going forward and having children only because then I know they will be well taken care of.  Overall, my thoughts on having children are that, though age plays a big part, it more so has to do with being financially and emotionally ready.  Both parents have to be willing to influence another human being in a manner that benefits society as a whole.

4 comments:

  1. I have the exact same thought when I see that my Facebook friends are pregnant or have had a child, and I'm 5 years older than you. I am with you as far as not being financially or emotionally ready to have a child. Deciding to have children is a life altering choice, and it is very important to be ready for a child so you can give it the best life possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber I know exactly how you feel because most of the people I went to school with either have one or two children, and I'm like their is a such thing as birth control!! Me and my boyfriend have been together for five years and we are still in no way ready for children seeing that we are both still in school. I just don't understand why in this day in age having a baby in you teens and early 20's is now some kind of badge of honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on my experience as an older lady who is a mother of five children, I can certainly understand your perspective on this topic. I definitely agree with your thought patterns on this subject, because parenting, especially motherhood, is a full time job, and easily the most important one to a (good) parent. I had my first child at the age of 25 years old, when I was working and financially capable of taking care of her, and that made welcoming a baby at that age easier. Also, it was a time when having a baby at 25 years old was a bit more commonplace than it appears to be today. Ultimately, I believe that certain decisions in life, even as far as having children in life, is a matter of choice, beliefs and overall priorities. Many woman want to have children and start families within a marriage, which I believe is the appropriate way to go about it.

    -Theresia Fomunung

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 24 and I have a 6 year old daughter and yes it is tough. When I'm with her my selfish ways are totally gone because she totally takes it away. She's the kid and she's the one that wants all of my attention and all the toys and candy in the world so I don't even get an opportunity to want anything. But that is totally cool with me because I want to give it all to her. She makes me so happy I would not chose to live my life any other way. I would so much rather buy us matching boots then to go and just buy my self a pair of expensive heels. And then again I still have all my friends and get to have adult fun time so I don't feel that I missed out on anything but actually gained :)

    ReplyDelete